You can still get help after the filing season


For most people, the tax filing season is over and their tax returns are filed. However, if you filed an extension or were unable to complete your return by the deadline, you can find multiple resources on to help you get your tax return filed by October 15.

• Interactive Tax Assistant. Find reliable answers to your tax questions with the Interactive Tax Assistant (ITA). The ITA is a tax law resource that asks you a series of questions and immediately provides answers on a variety of tax law topics. It can help you determine if your income is taxable, if you’re eligible to claim certain credits, and if you can deduct expenses on your tax return.

Free File. You can prepare and e-file your taxes for free with IRS Free File. Offered exclusively at, Free File’s brand-name software or fillable forms do the work for you. If you made $66,000 or less, you qualify to use free tax software. If your income is more than $66,000 and you feel comfortable preparing your own tax return, use Free File Fillable Forms.

• Find a Tax Preparer. Use the Directory of Tax Return Preparers tool to find a list of tax preparers near you or to determine the type of credentials or qualifications held by a specific tax professional.

• Check Your Refund Status. You can track your refund using the “Where’s My Refund?” tool on or through the IRS2Go Mobile App. You can use Where’s My Refund? to start checking the status of your return within 24 hours after the IRS receives your e-filed return or 4 weeks after you mailed your paper return. Where’s My Refund? is updated no more than once every 24 hours, usually overnight. However, some tax returns may take longer to process than others, such as when a return includes errors, is incomplete, needs further review, or is affected by identity theft or fraud.

Make Payments Electronically. The IRS offers several easy payment options for you to consider, including electronic funds withdrawal, payment by debit or credit card, and IRS Direct Pay. Learn more by visiting

• EITC Assistant. If you worked and earned less than $54,884 in 2018 you may be eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). To help determine your eligibility, use the EITC Assistant, an online tool available in English and Spanish.

• View Account Information. You can go to to securely access information about your federal tax account. You can view the amount you owe, payment history, and key information for the most current year tax return as originally filed